KE 2: Senior expert on MRV and Greenhouse gases (GHG) inventory
Project Title: "Nigeria Climate Change Response Programme - NCCRP"
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Engagement: 800 WDs
Duration: 48 months, estimated to start by August 2019
Sector: Environment / Energy
The purpose of this contract is the development of a good planning framework for supporting the country in achieving the conditional 45% NDC targets, working on data quality and accuracy in order to guarantee climate action transparency, ensuring intersectoral institutional engagement in its implementation, as well as the definition of the future priority sector to be included in the next NDCs (i.e. waste) to raise the GHG level ambition of the country.
Qualifications and skills
- As a minimum, a relevant university degree, preferably with an MSc, or equivalent, in environmental sciences, engineering, or economics or other related fields.
- Excellent fluency in written and spoken English.
- As a minimum, relevant GHG inventory experience with a good overview of the UNFCCC reporting and review process and/or general IPCC inventory guidance and/or Monitoring Mechanism Regulation (MMR)/ reporting requirements.
- Working successfully with public authorities including Ministries or regional or local governments, with communication skills that foster cooperation and partnership building.
- As a minimum high quality analytical and document drafting skills, which can be demonstrated by reference to a recent (the previous 3 years) report that he/she has authored.
General professional experience
- As a minimum, the Key Expert should demonstrate at least 12 years of professional experience related to the subject matter of the current contract, out of which at least 5 years of experience must be in an African country.
- As a minimum, the Key Expert should provide project references in the last 8 years related to the climate change action under the UNFCCC process to which they participated.
- Demonstrable deep knowledge and very good understanding of the international climate negotiation process and related mechanisms.
Specific professional experience
- A minimum of 6 years of experience in jobs requiring a deep knowledge on greenhouse gas monitoring and reporting, compilation and reviewing of national GHG inventory reports, as well as maintaining and managing GHG inventories.
- A minimum of 6 years of demonstrated working experience in working on MRV topics (i.e. domestic and/or international ones).
- A minimum of 6 years of demonstrated experience in implementation and/or enforcement related to a range of topics of the international climate change negotiation process and similar.
Benefits working with PLANET:
- Offers professional experience in highly competitive international working environment;
- Provides assistance in the social development and economic growth of the beneficiary countries;
- Establishes a long-term relationship with qualified experts;
- Offers highly compensated assignments.