KE 1: Team Leader / Climate change
Project Title: "Nigeria Climate Change Response Programme - NCCRP"
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Sector: Environment / Energy
Engagement: 800 WDs
Duration: 48 months, estimated to start by August 2019
The purpose of this contract is the development of a good planning framework for supporting the country in achieving the conditional 45% NDC targets, working on data quality and accuracy in order to guarantee climate action transparency, ensuring inter-sectoral institutional engagement in its implementation, as well as the definition of the future priority sector to be included in the next NDCs (i.e. waste) to raise the GHG level ambition of the country.
Qualifications and skills
- As a minimum, a relevant university degree, preferably with an MSc, or equivalent, in law, environmental sciences or international relations or other related field.
- Excellent fluency in written and spoken English; required ability to be permanently based in Nigeria for around 4 years.
- As a minimum high quality analytical and document drafting skills, which can be demonstrated by reference to a recent (the previous 3 years) report that he/she has authored.
General professional experience
- Demonstrable capacity to efficiently manage a project involving the multiple counterparts/teams, to be proven by experience involving a team of at least 5 members, within the past 8 years.
- At least 12 years of professional experience relevant to the purpose of this contract, out of which at least 5 years of experience must be in an African country.
- As a minimum, two project references related to the subject matter of the current contract in African countries.
- Demonstrable knowledge and very good understanding of the environmental and climate change mechanisms, systems and of the international climate negotiation process.
- Knowledge of Nigeria’s situation in the field of environment and/or energy and/or waste management is regarded as a strong advantage.
Specific professional experience
Demonstrable experience in capacity development in African context, as regards any of the following (as demonstrated by list of recent projects of this kind, and brief mention of the responsibility in the project):
- Environmental and climate change negotiation process – INDC-NDC, institutional and legislative capacity building.
- Developing climate policies and measures.
- Demonstrable experience in leading national or multi-national or regional projects related to environment and climate change (including experience in coordination of teams of at least 5 members) of at least 2 years, as well as an understanding of legal and implementation issues, particularly with regard to energy and waste management.
Benefits working with PLANET:
- Offers professional experience in highly competitive international working environment;
- Provides assistance in the social development and economic growth of the beneficiary countries;
- Establishes a long-term relationship with qualified experts;
- Offers highly compensated assignments.